Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The big guns acupuncture sessions

Everything! I'm willing to try everything! And suddenly, my sunny disposition is back too! For now at least. I'm feeling more positive this week, and I hope Thursday's u/s brings good news!

I went for acupuncture on Saturday. I didn't go back to the same acupuncturist I had used last year, because from what I had read on other blogs and message boards, it didn't seem like my acupuncturist was focusing on IF too much. For example, he never put any needles anywhere on my abdomen. He only put needles in my legs and hands. This time, since I need such focussed, urgent and immediate help, I decided to look for someone different. 

 So I picked another acupuncturist, and she is much closer to home for me, and her website talked about IF all over the place.

What a world of difference! I've had 2 sessions so far, and man, her approach is SO different. She put needles on my tummy, legs, head, forehead, and hands. She put 2 little needles in my right ear as well. Then she connected come electricity to some of the needles in my tummy, and switched on some infrared type lamps. The electricity sends little tremors into the body. She turned the lights out, switched on very soothing music, and as I was drifting in and out of sleep, she stood next to me with a lit moxa stick heating my tummy. I had never seen or heard of a moxa stick before, so for others like me who don't know what it is - it looks like a lit cigar. It has a peculiar smell - sort of incense like, only more herbal. 

When I was done, she took off all the needles but for the ones in my ear. She said I should keep them on if I could tolerate them. If they bothered me, I could remove them. They aren't the regular acupuncture needles, but really tiny ones. On the outside they look like tiny bandaids, with needles on the other side sticking into my ear. I still have those on! I thought they would bother me while sleeping, but I can't even feel them. When I wash my hair, I put cling wrap on my ear, tape it up and take a shower! :-)

I went back to her yesterday, and she did all the same stuff as she did on Saturday, and in addition, she did acupuncture on my back (errrr - my butt actually). I've never heard of butt acupuncture and I told her that. She said it's usually used to help people with kidney issues, but since the pelvic region is behind the butt, she wanted to make sure I got energy from both sides! 

Bunny had mentioned someone told her to have "bone soup" to make a thick lining. DH even made me some Paya (it's an Indian/Pakistani soup made from goat trotters). I usually hate it, but I asked him to make it and I ate it for 2 meals, just in case it actually helps! 

Like I said - I'm willing to do EVERYTHING. And with all of this, and estrace suppositories, and delestrogen injections, and vivelle patches, my lining had better be thickening up!!

I see the acupuncturist tomorrow, and I have my u/s on Thursday. Let's see what news Thursday brings. But I'm feeling a stronger positive vibe. I hope my gut is right. 

Lisa - thanks for the award. I will write about it tomorrow, along with the 300 honest scraps that I still have to write! I've been so bad with awards lately - I'm so sorry, but I will do it tomorrow for sure! 

20 comments:

Jill M. said...

It's amazing what all we're willing to do when we're desperate for a baby. If there's even a slim chance that something might help, I do it. I hope the acup thickens up your lining and you finally get to move forward. Best of luck!

Erica said...

Hi Nikki! Thanks for stopping by and giving me the site for CCRM.

I wish you lots of luck on this new u/s. I, too, have had trouble with the thickness of my lining while preparing for FET. So annoying! I'm sending warm and peaceful thoughts your way

nancy said...

Yup - that's what my accu dude did when I was going for my lining.

Woohoo! Goodluck!

momsoon said...

Awesome to hear! I am amazed how our hope gets renewed over and over...

Man, that sounds like an awesome acu. apt.!! I have never done the moxy stick or the ear ones- I am def. going to ask!!!

Can't wait to hear about your u/s tomorrow...Sending you thick, triple stripe type vibes!! Best of luck tomorrow- we are with you in spirit!!

Lorraine said...

Sounds a lot like what my ac. prac. did - even the ears! Although she used little seeds that I was supposed to press on occasionally. She said the ear points were calming.

I hope your good feeling pans out - and trotter soup has to win some kind of try-anything award!

C said...

I have never tried accupunture but it sounds good...as long as it helps in some way. A long time back i tried reflexology and it was pretty good too...

Mallik says good things abt Paya too, trying to convince me to take some of it, am having none of it (been a vegetarian for more than 10 years now)...

sending you good vibes for thursday...lots of love

Meinsideout said...

Sounds really positive! I hope your lining gets its act together!!!

Sue said...

I love those little ear things! They are supposed to help with stress too...which I need:-) I am really hoping right along with you!!! And, yes, it is amazing the things that we are willing to do in the name of IF!!!

Anonymous said...

Nikki, this sounds so much better. i had the electricity and the heat as well. i really, REALLY think that it helped :) i hope it does the trick! the best is that you feel better!! that is a great side effect.

can't wait to hear on thursday how things look!

DAVs said...

Well you certainly can't say you haven't given it EVERYTHING you've got! I am so hopeful that your lining will look beautiful! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling much more positive. It is amazing how we can go from the lowest of lows to real highs, cherish the high moments. That acup appt sounds awesome! It relaxed me just reading about it!

I am sending more peace and joy and of course nice fluffy lining vibes your way!

JJ said...

Mmmm, trotter soup! I'm glad to read you're having some really good acupuncture sessions. I think the choice of practitioner is really important and it looks like you've found a great one. It took me a year of going to a so-so one to finally go out and find a new one I really like (and that costs about half as much). Sending thick lining vibes!

Miss Tori said...

I'm glad you found a new acupuncturist who is in tune with your body. Sounds very interesting.

I have to ask, what the heck are goat trotters? Is that their feet?

Um, I think I'll stick to chicken soup. lol

banditgirl said...

Nikki, I'm so so so psyched to hear you are feeling so positive! I am so glad if I in any way was able to contribute to that on Sunday and I would like to contribute even more! This is the way to go, if we are able to feel positive before such a difficult moment, let's just go with it. It's not always possible, but when it is, go with it, enjoy! I am hopeful for you!

banditgirl said...

Nikki! I really get the what seems like desperation sometimes, willing to do anything and everything. So many emotions, so intense. We are here to listen (and have tea or chat or meet up!).

Caroline said...

I am really hoping that the acupunture and all of your efforts have made that lining nice and thick. I am thinking of you!!

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

I hope you hear fantastic news on Thursday and that your lining is nice and thick!

Thoughts and prayers!

-Kelly
kloc2006 WebMd

bunny said...

I hope the bone soups work for you-- I've been eating some myself and am on the look out for a pressure cooker so I can try the Paya recipe-- it sounds delicious. Good luck!!

Charlotte said...

Wow! That sounds amazing! Those tiny ear needles were used on my daughterby the ENT when she had her tonsils out. Hegave us a small magnet to activate the needles and it was supposed to help with pain relief. That was the first Iever heard about it.
I hope all of this works for you!!

Lisa said...

I'm glad you have such a good acupuncturist! I'm curious what she'd think of raspberry leaf tea...