Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Alright - here we come!

A lot of things are happening. I've spent so much time waiting that my brain is not able to keep up with so much action all at once! 

I went this morning and had my blood drawn for CD3 testing. The blood serum is to be shipped out to CCRM. My local lab seems to have done this several times before. The phlebotomist saw the shipping box that I had in my hands, and he said "For Dr Schoolcraft?". Then he proceeded to draw my blood and he explained the process they would follow. They will coagulate the blood, separate the serum, freeze it for a day, and then tomorrow, they will ship the frozen serum to CO. He said he's done this for several patients in the past and he knows exactly what to do. That was a relief!

Surgery is scheduled for Oct 29 at 9:30 AM. We need to be there the previous day for my Pre - Op appointment, and we need to stay there the day of the surgery (stay in Denver, not in the hospital). We can fly back on Oct 30. 

Tickets are done - thanks to our friends T and P, who generously donated miles, which we shamelessly took. Thanks guys - this is big time help! 

I'm now looking for hotel and car deals, and will make the bookings shortly. With that, we're all set!! Woohoo!! 

Now the bad news. Well - not bad, but unexpected. CCRM's surgery center is not covered under our insurance. So they will be considered "out of network" making our out of pocket costs go up. We don't know how much exactly we will end up paying. Dr Schoolcraft decided to give me $500 off the deductible that I would have to pay, which is great, but in addition to our co pay and deductible, we will also be responsible for the 20% which our insurance will not cover for out of network services. 

I'm not complaining. I am grateful I have insurance in the first place. Many couples would be paying all of this out of pocket, and I know I'm blessed that I have SOME coverage. 

I'm excited to get this started. If the surgery is successful, we'll do the IVF. If not, this is the end of the road. But it's a road that has taught us so much, and in a way I'm grateful for the experience. I'm a stronger woman with a lot more endurance because of this road I've travelled.


7 comments:

the Babychaser: said...

Oh my! Good luck with the surgery! I was terrified before my myomectomy. I really had lost all faith in my body (which does tend to be fussy) and thought the surgery could really mess me up for a long time. It was only in the weeks afterward, as I healed at what seemed like a miraculous pace to me, did I truly begin to appreciate what my body COULD do, rather than just focus on what it CAN'T do.

I'm glad you're making this final push. I sometimes feel crazy for taking the pregnancy thing this far (and I know many of my friends and family don't understand why we haven't moved on to adoption). But at least I'll know I did everything I could. Same goes for you. So good good luck, and heal fast and well.

nancy said...

well, wishin' you all the luck in the entire world. ~hugs~ !!!!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Oh that sounds all exciting and scary at the same time. I am praying for you big time. I'm glad you have some insurance coverage, that's a huge relief, but sorry there was bad news. Things almost always cost more than you expect. Darn!!
And thanks so much for all your encouragement and comments. They mean the world to me.
***HUGS***

Anonymous said...

GL! I'm sure we'll "talk" before next wed. but JSYK you'll be in my prayers!

Shelby said...

I wish you so much luck with your surgery! I will be thinking of you on the day of. Many, many **hugs** for you, Nikki.

Lorraine said...

You sound as if you're in the perfect optimistic yet even-keeled place for pre-cycle work. Good luck with the surgery, and with CCRM in general!

Lisa said...

Hurray!!!

God luck with the surgury. I'll be thinking of you and hope everything goes quick and painless!!!

((HUGS))