Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Surgery Update

I can't believe I've slept all day! :-)

Everything went really well today. We left well in advance from the hotel because the nurse told us traffic can be really bad and it could take us even up to an hour! Well, we were there in 20 minutes (and yes, there was a LOT of traffic)! CCRM's surgery center entrance/ parking is different from their main lobby. You enter into a garage on the side and go straight upstairs to the surgery center. Entering the garage is like a secret mission operation! "Press "CALL" on the intercom, announce your name, and the garage door will be opened for you. The nurses will be notified of your arrival." Pretty cool, huh?

I filled out some paperwork, and they had me change into a WARM gown, and gave me a WARM blanket to cover myself. That felt so good! The nurse put on all the monitors for me, and wrapped my hand in a warm wet towel. She said that helps the veins pop up, so they can put in the IV easily. Everything went super smooth. The nurse also put on my "party hat"! (That's what she called it!) :-)

Now for my "awwwwww moment". DH was waiting in the room with me before they took me into the operating room. The sticky monitors on me were connected to this screen behind which was going beep...beep...beep...beep. It displayed my heart rate, and other vital stats. So DH came and held my hand, and instantly the monitor started going BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! My heart rate went up! We both started laughing - after 12 long years, DH can still get my heart rate racing by touching my hand!! LOL. Come on, say it with me "Awwwwww."

They put in some relaxing medicine into the IV and I was out. Didn't even stay awake till the real stuff! What a wuss! 

I woke up with warm warm blankets all over me, including one which is like a plastic sheet, with warm air circulating through it. Very cool. I sat for a bit, and then had some crackers and ginger ale. My throat hurts - possibly scratched / bruised from some tube they put in. It hurts pretty bad to swallow. Dr Schoolcraft came in and told me everything went well. He thinks he's made enough room in there. He inserted a balloon (which I don't feel at all). He also said he had to put a stitch on my cervix because it got nicked a little. 

We left in a bit, and DH drove us back via Panera, where he got me some nice soup. Came back to the hotel, and went to sleep. 

The greatest part of it all - I am in no pain. At least so far. It's 5 PM local time, I haven't had any pain medication since I left the hospital. That's it folks. The surgery is done. Now I wait for 6 weeks, and come back here. DH already did the tickets for our December trip while I was asleep this afternoon. We plan to fly in and out the same day. 

I feel great, and am really glad I went ahead and did the surgery. Even if it doesn't help, I know I've done all I could. 


I Believe in Miracles said...

YEAH!!! What great news. I'm so proud of you. And super excited for you. The DH raising your heartrate is a definite AWE moment. Adorable.
Hope you have a safe trip back.

April said...

so glad to hear this. i LOVE those warm blankets. I want to get one of those warmers for my house!!

take it easy: lots of rest and lots of fluids.


Shelby said...

I am so glad to hear this! Seeing that you came through with flying colors is wonderful news. It sounds as if the doc is pretty confident that he made you a nice big girl uterus ready for the runway :). And like you said, whatever the outcome, there can be no 'what ifs'. You have done so much, with so much strength. I am rooting for you!

Elana Kahn said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well and I hope your recovery stays easy and goes fast!

Anonymous said...


Darya said...

I am so glad to hear everything went well! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry it took me so long to contact you tonight. I was thinking about you all day but I was swamped!

g said...

YAH glad all went well!! its is kinda cool that they respect our privacy with the secret entrance huh!! i liked that! ADN THOSE WARM BLANKIES AHHHHH i loved that!!! waking up to that was awesome!!!
i had the same throat thing.. it will go away in a few days.. it is a pain though.. ar you at the Hampton?? panera is right there... very good soup! there is a great grocery store up the street too with other soups that are great as well!! YUMMY!
Well i am so glad all went well! have a safe trip home!!!

Earl Gearl said...

Glad the surgery went well! Now rest up!

Misty said...

That is awesome Nikki!!! I'm so happy that you aren't in pain. Rest up and I hope those 6wks fly by for you.

Sahana said...

Glad everything went well, Take rest and i'll talk to you this weekend.

nancy said...

sweet!!! Being in no pain has got the be the best part. Lucky girl. I was always in pain after my surgeries!! Let's switch uteruses, okay? ;0

The heartrate raising thing? yes, AWWWW!!!

Nichole said...

That is awesome news! YEAH!!! I am so happy that everything went well.

Lisa said...

So glad everything went okay today Nikki! And glad you aren't in any pain right now. That's even better! And you're right.... it's so sweet that DH can still get your heart rate up. AWWWWWWW!

Get your sleep and have a safe trip home.

Hopefully they fixed the problem and now you are all clear for the cycle of your dreams.


Lorraine said...

Hey, that sounds more like some kind of spa vacation than a medical procedure! And it is the sweetest thing that you and your hubs can see verifiable evidence of your affection. I so, so hope that will be part of the story you can tell your child some day.

Rest up - six weeks will fly by!