Saturday, January 10, 2009

And then there were...

Day 3 embryo progress report is in. I was so nervous that the numbers would drop significantly. But thankfully it's not that bad. In fact, it's not bad at all!

Out of the 14, we have 12 that are growing well. Minimal to no fragmentation, good cell division, and according the the embryologist, they are just where we want them to be. 

Out of the 4 eggs that matured late and on which "rescue ICSI" was done, 1 is at 5 cells, 1 at 3 cells, 1 at 2 cells and one didn't cleave at all. The 5 cell and 3 cell embryos look promising - they will continue to watch these over the next couple of days.

So as of now, on Monday, the 12 embryos will be biopsied (hopefully all 12 will still be growing then) and vitrified. On Tuesday or Wednesday they will biopsy any of the late bloomers that are still growing at that time, and will vitrify them. This is delayed because these are the late maturing eggs that were fertilized later, and they are physiologically a day or more behind the earlier batch. 

We will now hear from them on Monday after the biopsy. The FISH results should be in within a couple of days after that. 

I'm feeling more at peace with the numbers now. I was worried that we would lose some from Day 1 to Day 3, and thankfully most of our embryos seem to have grown well. I hope they continue to grow, and form good looking blastocysts on Monday. 

I have not heard anything from the insurance guys after my conversation with them yesterday. Given that it's the weekend, I probably won't hear till next week now any way. 

Physically I'm doing ok - I think. I'm still very very bloated, and my left ovary hurts when I stand or walk. I have been having a lot of heartburn as well. Painful heartburn. And my back is a little painful. I hope these aren't related with OHSS in any way. I'm trying to drink water and gatorade (DH disagrees, he thinks I'm not drinking enough. I've been telling him to put an IV on me with gatorade dripping into me constantly!!) 

21 comments:

JJ said...

Congrats on the promising numbers, Nikki. Yay! You sound alot better and it's nice to see you feeling happier again. I'm sending lots of wishes your way for all your embies to continue to grow strong.

Anonymous said...

Great news!!! Grow embies, grow!

Jill M. said...

Wahooo!!!! Great news!!!! Thinking positive thoughts for lots of blasts. Did they give you your day 3 cell counts? Very happy for you!

Lulu said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm so happy for you. Those are great numbers. What a great outcome. Keep posting your progress.

Angie said...

Wonderful news!!! Yay! Grow, grow, grow embies!!

Sanda said...

I found your blog from LFCA. I'm a fellow T-shaper (but mine was too severe to try correction) so we're now expecting via gestational surrogacy.
I just wanted to say that I'm cheering for you and hoping that those embies keep growing strong and healthy and that this will be the cycle that goes the distance for you!
Hope you are feeling better soon!

Petrucia said...

very good numbers indeed! so great that the other late comers are also promising.:)

Charlotte said...

Great news, Nikki!! I really excited for you...I'll be stalking your blog all next week, lol!
Yep, I did have pics, and when I played with the formatting on my blog last weekend, I lost them, and I meant to put up newer pics but I forgot! I'll get to that next week!!

Shelby said...

This is a great to hear! And from what I've heard, lots of protein helps OHSS (just in case), so a nice juicy steak should fix you right up!

Lorraine said...

Fabulous! The percentage is amazing - great to hear that things are looking up!

Elana Kahn said...

That's so awesome!!! Your bloating & ovary pain could be OHSS, but you're doing everything right there. Make sure to get lots of protein, too. That'll help a bit. I'm sending major embie growing vibes! ~~~~

April said...

that's a great report! i'm so excited.

keep drinking, use a pillow for splinting.

*hugs*

Stace said...

I just started reading after clicking over from Lost and Found. I am amazed and also a little saddened by your journey. How you've had the strength to do this for so long is beyond me. I wish you nothing but the best for this cycle!

bunny said...

Yee-haw! This is a great report. Congratulations. Hope things continue to go your way! I am so excited for you!

Meinsideout said...

Great news!!! I cannot imagine how sore you must be - a little extra fiber mixed in with the huge amounts of liquid really helped me...

Anonymous said...

Dear Nikki,
I just caught up with all your posts and I want to let you know that my best wishes and prayers are with you.
Congrats on all the growing embies!
Way to go!
Kaila

April said...

i so cracked up when i read your comment about gabrielle!! :)

Josée Martens said...

Wow! That is an amazing report that we all dream of. Keep it coming! Go embies go!

C said...

This is great news...!!! Now drink some more water ;-)

Misty Dawn said...

Sounds wonderful Nikki! Can't wait for those FISH results now. YAY!!! Your ET won't be far away now!

Courtney said...

YAY Nikki!! that is great news ;). Grow embies grow!! Can't wait for your next update....