Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pregnant sightings!

They’re everywhere. EVERYWHERE. In real life, in Hollywood, on the news, on social networking sites, EVERYWHERE!!! We closed myself in, and isolated ourselves from so many IRL friends because we couldn’t deal with their pregnancies or baby news or baby views. Many shut us out because they didn’t know what to say to us any more. Now – now I have one friend who calls and checks on me frequently. Other than her calls, my phone rings only when CCRM calls me. I get emails when I get comments from you guys. Other than that – almost nothing.

What did we do? We turned to television. In 30 minute spurts, the telly has become our escape from reality. How I met your mother, Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Law and Order have helped us keep our sanity, and in some cases, our humor alive.

This last season, we also started watching a new series called “The Worst Week”. It made us laugh. The poor guy got into trouble and his life sucked apparently more than ours – all the time! But there was a theme on the show – the girl was pregnant. It was ok in the beginning, but then they had to start showing her pregnant. We stopped watching the show then.

The other day I read somewhere that Cobie Smulders and Alyson Hannigan are pregnant in real life. They are both on How I met your Mother. Yesterday, Cobie’s character Robin visibly LOOKED bigger. I love the show, but I’m sure it will be another one that we’ll stop watching soon.

Two and a Half Men – I mean, cheap, crass, in your face type of stuff. Hilarious. Yesterday, Marin Hinkle’s character (Judith) waddles out 5 months pregnant, and half the show was about painting the nursery, and selecting the baby girl’s name. Blech!! Another show I’m going to stop watching?

How sad is it when you end up needing to escape FROM your escape? Pathetic. Really pathetic.

This season I think we’re going to stick to Kitchen Nightmares, Hell’s Kitchen and American Idol. Whatever they do on those shows, hopefully they won’t paint nurseries and choose baby names, and shove their fertility in our faces! Angry, filthy mouthed, British accented Chef Gordon Ramsey, and Simon, Randy, Paula and the new chick are probably NOT going to suddenly show up pregnant any time soon. (Or so we hope!)

Now for my PGD update – no news. I had asked the nurse yesterday when we spoke. She had checked with the lab, and they had told her they hadn’t heard back from the PGD lab yet. They said it could take a few more days. I am running out of patience but I don’t have another option. Nothing I can do but wait. The embryologist told me they expected to hear back by Friday last or Monday/ Tuesday. I’m going to keep quiet and calm till tomorrow. And then I’ll follow up. I do know that they didn’t have the results yesterday. I’ll give them today, and then start calling them.

23 comments:

Dora said...

You must be going out of your mind waiting for the results. Thinking of you.

Jill M. said...

Ok, now I'm getting impatient!!! Hoping the results come in soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry. I know how you feel. One of our favorite shows became like that. The actress was pregnant in real life (wasn't added to the storyline) but she got huge and I hated her. As soon as I found out she was pregnant I hated her. I made my husband say he hated her so I wasn't in it alone. Pregnant tv sucks. You want to escape and you just can't. Hugs.

DAVs said...

I hear you! I'm scared of my own blog roll (that's why I had to divide it into sections) and I'm scared to open my email (have received TWO new baby announcements with pictures this week alone) and I'm scared to go to church (two girls in my SS class delivering within days). Celebrities aren't safe either.
GEEZ. It's tough to be infertile in a fertile world.
Thinking of you and sending you hugs!

Caroline said...

Hi Nikki,

Your WAIT is excruciating for all of us! We are with you girl. Let's hope you get the results soon.

I know what it's like to feel that life is getting smaller. All of a sudden I can't see my friends as much because I don't want to be around their babies or pregnantness. Sometimes I don't even want to leave the house because fertiles and their offspring are everywhere.

Nichole said...

I totally here you! There are so many shows I have stopped watching. Private Practice is going to be the next one. I used to love that show...but I'm done with it. I used to not like Two and a half men, but now it totally makes me LOL! I missed the pg episode though (good thing). Big HUGS!!! BTW...Brain puzzles have become my new escape...haven't run into anything pg related yet!

April said...

ok, ok, ok... i know you probably don't want to hear it, but maybe you have to add a day because of MLK day? maybe the labs were closed? who knows!

i feel you on everyone being pregnant. i love biggest loser. alison (the host) was pregnant with the last group, and now there is a new group that was apparently filmed at the same time b/c she is pregnant again. arg. my friend that i watch it with thought i was crazy when i kept telling her that i thought that she was pregnant b/c of the weird camera angles and stuff....but lo and behold. she is/was/whatever.

i really hope you don't have to wait much longer. ...and seriously, try weeds. it's awesome. the wire is next on our list. it is supposed to be amazing. if you haven't watched six feet under i recommend that as well. you can netflix them and watch them without commercials ;)

Darya said...

We can't seem to get away from those darn fertiles, can we? A friend of ours got married several months after we did and their baby is a few months old now. It hurts. I'm happy for them but why can't we get one?

The media has no mercy for us infertiles either. It feels like everywhere I go and everything I see has some fertile walking in the middle of it.

JJ said...

Ugh, I'm waiting here with you.... Tap tap tap. Waiting for news like this is the hardest part of IVF by far, I think. Try to stay positive if you can (yep, easier said than done). If you're like me, I change my mind every three minutes, like "oh of course we'll have a normal one" to "we'll never have a normal one". I'm trying to control those thoughts because my mood just swings around constantly. Hang in there, girl.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, the "pregnancy everywhere" phenomenon doesn't seem to get much easier even when you've joined the party. We just found out that one of G's best friend's wives is due in July. She's about a month ahead of me. And for some reason both G and I were incredibly jealous when we found out. I guess it's hard whenever I hear about anyone who gets pregnant so easily. Misery loves company...that is for sure!

Good luck with the PGD results. My fingers and toes are all crossed!

Shelby said...

How frustrating on the PGD! Ugh! I hope you hear from them soon and that it is GREAT news.

And about How I Met Your Mother, I LOVE that show and when I found out about the pregnancies, I've been sitting through each episode staring at their stomachs instead of enjoying the humor. Mr. S said, 'you're going to hate this how now, aren't you?' Well, probably. I can't even enjoy sitcoms anymore? Oh, how I loathe IF.

Meinsideout said...

Crikey - I wish they would send the results already, so sorry that you are still waiting.

I went to the hair salon to get my eyebrows (which are beginning to fall out like some of my hair - doc says from hormones) waxed and I saw a giant pregnant belly...I felt bad, I did not look at her face, just the belly...got a little sad and a lot frustrated.

Charlotte said...

I love HIMYM! I thought both girls looked visibly bigger on last night's show, too.

Sorry you haven't gotten results yet. That's frustrating! Hang in there!!

Lorraine said...

Maybe MLK day did get in your way - I had an IVF cycle that extended a day and I needed one more screw-on needle for my follistim pen and everything was closed! I had to beg an OR nurse that I knew to nab me one from their pharmacy. I was ready to slit my skin and dump the stuff in addict-style...

Sorry you need an escape from your escape, that does suck. Maybe you can learn to love nascar? Not much threat there...

C said...

@CCRM...Give Nikki the report all ready man!!!

@ Nikki- all I watch On TV nowdays is news!! My escape route are books...they take me away from all the rut of real life...

Josée Martens said...

WOAH!!! Spoiler alert missing!

I am a few episodes behind on 2 and half men. And I love How I met your mother. I don't want to watch them swell! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Lisa said...

Okay...do you know what we watched the other night...SUPER NANNY. And you know what? For about 5 minutes I felt really good to be child free. So, good, that I looked at my hubby and said this is almost like birth control which we actually LOL'd at as we kick into IVF gear. It was a rare moment in my day...but priceless!

I'm sorry no PGD results yet...hope good news is coming soon!

Josée Martens said...

No biggie on the spoiler. I was just teasing you. :-)

Waiting for results is torturous.

Linda said...

Keep on exhibiting "calm." When I finally got my CGH results (around a 4 week wait), I actually called the lab who did the CGH to ask them if they could give me more detail. Pathetic huh? And then I had to wait a little over a week to get the FISH results. Sometimes, I think waiting is the hardest part. Hang in there. You are definitely not alone, even though sometimes it feels that way. Like yourself, the only calls I get are from CCRM or from my one IRL friend (who btw has started ttc'ing). We're all waiting WITH you. Sending you a cyber hug.

Anonymous said...

We are all waiting with you! You know..I and my DH love watching 'Friends' together..it is our best 'us' time..we have the whole bunch of cds.. some time back..we were watching the episode where Rachel's pregnancy is dealt with and my DH abruptly stopped the cd. It took me a while to realise why and feel the pain. Nikki..nobody worked to earn a baby like we guys do. Hang in there baby..praying for you- HH

Misty Dawn said...

I can't beleive they have you going out of your mind!!! UGH the nerve!

IT seems we've had the same problems lately. Every TV Show, Commercial, and movie are about fertiles. DH even said to me last night "What is the deal lately w/all these HPT commercials?"

Hope you can regain some sanity soon.

(((((((((big hugs))))))))))

Elle Charlie said...

Hang in there - all the waiting stinks. I hope you get news soon, and I hope that your shows stop being so pregger centered - it IS hard to get away sometimes.

Anonymous said...

OMG... I was debating abt the same thing last night. DH and I love Two & a Half Men. When Judith came out PG, I was like WTF... what's going on! No Fair!
Hang in there, we will get new shows to watch!