Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On the 7th day of ER

The embryologist called, and I think I have finally exhaled now, after days of bated breath, days of wondering, hoping, panicking, all at the same time!

Our latest update is more heartening. They were able to biopsy and vitrify 4 more embryos on Day 6. There was one more they were watching, but that one didn't make it. So all in all, we now have 6 that have been biopsied and vitrified, ie frozen in time.

The biopsied cells were fixed on glass slides, and these slides are being sent to the PGD lab today. The lab should be working on our slides tomorrow and on Friday. They could technically have the results by Friday, but since they know there is no time pressure of a fresh transfer, and since they are aware that these blastocysts have been vitrified, they may not be in a rush to send the results back. CCRM will call us as soon as they hear, and this could happen on Monday or maybe even Tuesday.

I'm feeling a little more relaxed, and am daring to hope that there WILL be a transfer. I'm reminded on our President Elect's speech and book title and phrases - The Audacity of Hope. He said "Hope in the face of difficulty. Hope in the face of uncertainty. The Audacity of Hope."

Out of our 6 blastocysts being genetically tested, can we hope for at least one that we can transfer? Please God, I hope so. Please don't let it be otherwise. 

I had promised I would share with you the grading system for blastocysts. I went online to look for pictures which I could post with my description. In my searches I came across a website which actually describes the grading of blastocysts much better than I could ever dream of doing. So I'm going to link you to this article on blastocyst grades.

I want to thank every one of you for reaching out and supporting me during the crazy roller coaster of the last week. From 1/7 to 1/14 - it seems like an eternity! A tiring, exhausting eternity, and I don't think I could have stayed sane without the hands of my blogosphere friends, holding me up. 

It's not over yet, it's far from over, but it's one step forward it the right direction. 

25 comments:

I Believe in Miracles said...

I'm so glad to hear you had more! What a huge praise. Continuing to pray
~~HUGS~~

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear you have 6 embryos! You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! I hope the PGD results bring you fantastic news!

-Kelly
kloc2006 webmd

Caroline said...

Nikki,
I will be praying that you have at least one embryo to transfer. What a roller coaster ride it has been. I am so proud of you for being so strong. I will be waiting to read your next blog.

Meinsideout said...

That is awesome - that is a good number to work with.

I agree with the statement about hope - I cannot wait for the 20th and our new president.

I hope you hear Friday!!!

Caroline said...

Nikki,
I found this quote from Winnie the Pooh really helpful when my husband was in Iraq. For some reason it reminds me of your situation too. You are being so courageous...

If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together. There is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

JW Moxie said...

Whew. I just felt another huge gust of relief. So close now...not stopping the prayers!

DAVs said...

I'm glad you had so many more! Wishing you only the best!

Lorraine said...

Good news! Hope is less perilous when you have better numbers on your side. I hope the PGD news is a pleasant surprise, too!

Jill M. said...

Well I'm hoping for at least 3 normals! I was so excited to read your update and find you jumped from 2 to 6, whew! Great news!

April said...

nikki, i think that this is good news. now you just have to wait. i know this part sucks. i hate the waiting. be sure to take care of yourself. pamper yourself a little.

**hugs**

Elana Kahn said...

Oh that's so awesome!!!! I'm so glad they were able to get more. You just made my day!

JJ said...

Many congrats on four more! That's amazing and really encouraging. Phew! Can't wait to see your results. I'm sure there will be some normals in there. xxxx

Jenileigh said...

BIG HUGS! Praying!

C said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for u...

Misty Dawn said...

Yay!!! 6 embies!

Lavanya said...

I'm so happy for you, glad to hear the results. You can now relax and take some rest.Good luck

Anonymous said...

yay! just one step at a time.

Darya said...

I am glad you are feeling better. I think you are going to end up with a lot more than before because the bad ones are already dead or 'arrested'..LOL

nancy said...

Oh Nikki, I am just getting caught up and understand everythign you've wrote. Also looked at past cycles, etc and I really am hoping for one (or lots more) of the 6 to transfer. Maybe that's just what had to happen this time, there needed to be so many retrieved because of the decreasing numbers, ending up in exactly (and all) what you will need. I think of the fact we had no "left overs" and I couldn't be happier with not having to make that decision. So maybe it's all fate.

I'll be crossing my fingers for the PGD results.

Angie said...

Just catching up on posts after being away for a few days - I AM SO HAPPY to hear your news! This is awesome! I'll be praying for you....keep the Hope alive!

Linda said...

I'm finally caught up with your posts. Oh gosh, what a rollercoaster ride! I teared up when I was reading your posts back-to-back, as it brought out my own memories. I totally understand. I so want this to work for you. I really do. You have been through so much already, more than anyone should have to go through. Let's hope that you get great news! Can't wait for your update. :)

Josée Martens said...

THat is totally amazing! I am so happy for you. You've got a lot of great blasts and lets hope CGH gets back sooner than expect with good results!

Petrucia said...

yeay for 6 blastocysts! I'm joining you in this audacity of hope. :)

JJ said...

Nikki, just popping in to say hi. I'm thinking of you and wondering if you're having a horrible time waiting by the phone for your results. Hope you get great news soon. Hugs.

Charlotte said...

Hoping you get really, really good news...you deserve it so much!!