Friday, August 29, 2008

35% body fat

I should be depressed about it, but I'm not. I don't believe it!

I've been going to the gym 3 times a week like I promised I would. The remaining 4 days I go cycling. My home scale says I've lost 2 lbs. The gym scale says I've lost 1. 

I have decided I like my home scale better - I'm going to stop worrying about the gym scale. I'm tending to agree it's weighted. DH had a theory - he thinks it is weighted for anyone that weighs in the 120 - 160 odd range. That's because he weighs more, and his weight shows the same on the home scale and the gym scale. His theory is that they want to scare people in the 120-160/170 range and make them believe they weigh more. I don't know for sure, but it's a comforting theory :-)

So then I'm doing my own thing - cardio, stretches, weights and suddenly they announced over the intercom that they're doing "free body fat percentage measurements". Of course, idiot that I am, walked over there and said ok - sucker punch me!!

I went through the whole getting pinched with the "vernier caliper" thing, and the guy tells me "Your body fat % is 35%" He then shows me a chart which says I am in the "unhealthy / obese" category. I don't believe him! I am not obese, and I don't have 35% body fat!! He didn't even pinch the calipers hard enough - I hardly felt them!

(It didn't help that the guy was totally toned, absolutely gorgeous and SO SO hot!!)

Oh and by the way - on my other update. I called CCRM yesterday again and had the receptionist check my file. They do have my records from my current clinic. So PHEW!! That's one bother off my list!

--------------UPDATE-----------

I re-read my post and a few of my other posts and I realize that I may actually be offending some people. I do not mean to do that at all. I am sorry if I say (write) anything inappropriate.

It's just that I've been indulging in an extended pity party, and haven't really seen things from different perspectives lately.

I'm going to try to - and if I've said something that ticked anyone off - I'm so sorry.... 


3 comments:

Shelby said...

I think the hot guy who was doing your calculations must've been smoking crack. You would have to be over 200 pounds at 5'4" (I believe you said earlier that was your height) before you could get anywhere near 35%. And at that point, you wouldn't be questioning it. I would get a recalc. (from someone whose not been hitting the pipe) before getting too depressed.

Lauren said...

Hey, Nikki! Don't mind those gym people. Just go with how you feel and listen to your body. You're fine!
:)

Lauren

The Vincents said...

Well, you haven't ticked ME off. That's good news! It's pretty hard to do, but if you were to, I'd let you know.... yeesh!

I am happy to hear that they have your file. What a relief. After all of the homework you have done, you would think that you would know that you are NOT supposed to walk over to the body fat measurement desk!!!!!!! EVER!!!!! Total sucker punch comin' at you! LOL