It got me to thinking about how all the ducks need to get in a row for a baby to happen. The miracle of conception and pregnancy and child-birth is amazing. Most people that conceive without having to know the "science" behind everything are oblivious of the minute precision perfection of the miracle that they are part of.
- The couple should be of reproductive age.
- The timing should be perfect
- The woman should have a physically functional system - the tubes should be present and open, the ovary should be present and functional, the uterus should not have any septum etc.
- The woman should hormonally be functional too - not too much not too little of any of the hormones, and timing of everything has to be perfect.
- The environment should not be "hostile"
- The man should have good count, good motility, good morphology etc.
- Now the darned sperm needs to find the little egg - considering they are each just one cell - that has to be a little hard to do!
- Egg has to be of good quality, and fertilization should occur
- The embryo should be perfect as far as chromosomes are concerned even if both parents are chromosomally fine.
- Now the embryo needs to travel down the fallopian tube and implant - and it should NOT implant in the fallopian tube itself.
- The lining of the uterus needs to be appropriate
- The woman should have no clotting disorders or immune disorders
- The uterus should hold the growing baby for 9 months without trying to "expel" it earlier
- The placenta should be of good quality
- The woman's cervix should be of good length
- And so on and so forth......
So for all the people that conceive naturally, or for the people that conceive without even trying, or while being on drugs or alcohol - it's a God sent miracle that you're part of. To me, it is amazing that babies are born without a whole lot of medical intervention actually - given that we know how much we know now!
We are all part of that miracle - whether or not we have the babies to prove it. Once upon a time, we were ourselves that miracle that our parents created!