Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"I don't have a car"

I don't know why this incident came to mind this morning, but it brought back a smile to my face, and I thought I'd share it.

This happened about 8 years ago - one of our friends had just moved to California. He'd just arrived, taken up an apartment, and was trying to settle down here. He had not got a car yet. So one night he was unpacking stuff and setting up his apartment, and didn't realize that it was getting late and he had not got food yet. He stepped out of his apartment, and saw a Wen.dys across the street. It had a board that said "Drive thru open late" or something to that effect.

Since the main part of the restaurant seemed closed, he walked into the drive thru area. He placed his order through the machine and was told to pay at the first window, so he walked up to the first window. The guy collecting the money there opened the window and looked out at our friend, and this is what followed:

Wen.dys employee: "Where's your car?"
Friend: "I don't have a car"
Wen.dys employee: "What do you mean you don't have a car?"
Friend: "I mean I don't have a car!"
Wen.dys employee: "This is a drive thru - you gotta have a car"
Friend: "I know this is a drive thru - I just want a burger, and again, I DON'T HAVE A CAR!!"

I'm not sure if he ever got his burger or not, because I was in splits by the time the story had reached this point. Today, after 8 years of hearing the story, I was reminded of a time where I would laugh heartily at stories, and it felt nice. 

But to think about it - what DO you do when you don't have a car and drive thru is all that is open? I mean, yes, there's Den.nys too - but what if that's too far to walk and public transport is closed because it's late?

2 comments:

The Vincents said...

"Bike-Thru Open Late"

Lisa said...

LOL! Thanks for the laugh!